Durham University Anthropology Department invites postgraduate students in all sub-disciplines of anthropology and related fields to the upcoming PG conference: Human Bodies, Antibodies and Other Bodies. It will take place at Durham University, Tues 24th April 2018, and is free to attend.
Throughout its history, anthropology has engaged with the study of biological and social bodies. Biological bodies were quantified, qualified and described, while social bodies are discussed in ways that challenge naturalized ideas about oppression and power, race, sex, gender and in the end humanity itself. Bodies in anthropology and its sister disciplines have been studied as subjects and objects, meaningful and material, individual and social, and all at the same time.
This conference seeks to explore “the body/bodies”, broadly conceived, from all sub- disciplines of anthropology and related disciplines, in all of their various approaches and conceptualizations. To fulfil the aims above, we welcome proposals on human and non-human bodies, living and non-living bodies, and their interactions including proposals that emerge from biological, medical and social anthropology. Some of the themes to consider are:
- Biological bodies – biological anthropology of bodies, human/animal interaction, animal and/or human bodies and behaviours
- Medical bodies – health, reproduction/fertility, genetics, biomedicine, suffering/dying, dead bodies, health and illness
- Bodies in society – education, gender /sexuality, citizenship, spirituality/faith/religion, power, governance, art/fashion/aesthetics
- Bodies in science and technology
- Moving bodies – migrations, bodies in nature, bodies in conflict, commodified bodies, sports, performing arts
- Digital bodies
- Other bodies (broadly conceived)
Paper and poster proposals should include:
- author name(s), affiliation(s) and contact email
- paper title
- a paper abstract (200 words max)
- and short bio (200 words max).
Please clearly indicate whether you submitting a paper or poster proposal.
Please submit your proposals no later than 31st January 2018 by email.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by 15th February 2018.
For any enquiries please contact the conference organisers indicating a specific issue or topic in the e-mail subject line.